Sunday, June 27, 2010

PortCon!!

Just got back from PortCon Maine. I love this convention because it's close to home and very small and relaxing. The entire thing takes place in one hotel so it doesn't have the discombobulation of AnimeNEXT and the South Portand Wyndham is a great little hotel and it's conveniently located across from the Maine Mall and countless restaurants and businesses are within a short walking or driving distance so you can easily get good food instead of living off con junk and also grab last-minute purchases. The Artist's Alley closes very early for a convention - 7! - which gave us plenty of free time in the evening to go out to eat, relax in the pool, go to convention events or just veg out. A lot better than getting out at 10PM. Of course, the shorter hours and smaller foot traffic means we don't make as much money than at the other cons. PopCult always does well because no one can resist our buttons and they're the most affordable item in the whole convention. My own products didn't do as well. I only made $52 this weekend. But we had a lot of fun as we often do at PortCon because it truly is less stressful.
We left around 130 on Thursday and took 95 all the way up. It was funny because we passed Inyx on the way up and then blew past her as I have a lead foot. After realizing I was passing 90, I slowed down a bit and then got stuck in slowed traffic due to a downpour, yet I never saw Inyx catch up with us. Despite all that, she made it to the hotel before us, albeit literally a minute before us.
Wig and I had a HUGE fight as soon as we got up to the room. Despite how negatively he's viewing the whole pregnancy situation, we haven't straight out fought more than twice. We made up soon after between keeping up appearances as we set up the booth and genuine apologies. We had the room to ourselves most of the night because Inyx and her new girlfriend Alina went out to dinner alone and I was able to assuage his qualms about having sex with a pregnant woman and we had some much-needed make-up sex. Even though he says he won't want to have sex when I really look pregnant, he's not going to be able to resist. My libido's already starting to increase, imagine what it's going to be like in a few months. Wig was pretty quiet and withdrawn for most of the first day, but he slowly started to become his old self. He started joking a bit more and smiling and started playing guitar again and even made it to the final round of a Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament. But all these improvements are only on the surface. Every once in a while he'd still make some negative comment about the pregnancy and our future. It's a long, long road, but he'll soon see things will work out. They won't be perfect - not by a longshot - but we'll survive and we'll be happy and we'll still be able to do the same things we did before we had a baby. He won't be able to believe that until it happens though.
He's telling Gahmstead tonight. I wonder what he's going to say about it. I still haven't told my parents. I was going to tell them tomorrow but I have to close and will be at work before they come home so it'll have to wait until Tuesday. It would've been as awkward if I told them tonight when I got back from PortCon than if I told them last week then left. Plus we're going to need a lot of uninterrupted time to discuss what I'm going to do.
Anyway, I have a couple weeks to prepare for ConnectiCon, then a couple weeks after that the Stoneham store should be opening and I'll start my new full-time supervisor's position! I'm going to start looking for apartments soon. We might just stay in Medford for convenience but I'm going to actively look in Stoneham so we're closer to work, and also in Wakefield and Melrose. MAYBE Malden and Somerville but I'm not big on Malden (especially when you have to pay for "city garbage bags") and Somerville's touch and go depending on the neighborhood and the best neighborhoods like Davis and Ball Sq are probably a lot more pricey. Plus there's almost no on-street parking for visitors. I need a place where my friends and family can come to visit and not worry about being towed or have to park 3 blocks away. We might look for a 3-room so Gahm can move in too because everyone in that household wants to get rid of Susan and her drunken "I have cancer so I'm going to do coke and drink myself to death" mentality. That's if he's interested in living w/his brother, sister-in-law and future nephew (or niece).
So tomorrow when I go back to work I hope they have more news about the Stoneham store. It'll be good to be armed w/that info when I tell my parents I'm pregnant. Having a full-time, better paying and better benefits job will really soften the blow of how soon in my life this happened.
I'm off to finish uploading to flickr then off to bed. I'll post more when I have more news.

2 comments:

  1. *hugs* it will all work out. If you need someone to talk to, you know my number

    btw, have you done Arisia or Pi-Con? Pi-Con is in Aug, it's a small con, but a lot of fun and close to home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inyx invited us up to Arisia for one night when she was networking there. It is more sci-fi than anime or gaming which is cool. It's just tough to fit so many cons in one year. We already do 5.

    ReplyDelete